- eggplant (size and number depends on amount of people to be served)
Clean and slice eggplant into quarter of an inch slices, lengthwise.
Brush eggplant slices with olive oil, then sprinkle with chopped basil and rosemary. Grill the eggplant slices, either in a skillet, or on the grill outside. Whichever works best! They grill fast and can stick, so make sure to brush grill with olive oil and watch closely.
This recipe also works beautifully for squash and zucchini!
Serves: 4 (depends on size of eggplant)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 1 small clove garlic
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups V-8 juice
- 2 & 1/2 tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 large ripe tomato
- 2 tbsp finely minced fresh onion
- 1/2 fresh cucumber - diced
- 1/2 fresh green pepper - diced
- 1/2 tsp freeze-dried chives
- 1 tbsp fresh green onion tops - chopped
- 1 fresh yellow squash - diced, not peeled
- 1 cup fresh eggplant - diced (for color - optional)
Place garlic, parsley, V-8 juice, vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, vegan sugar, salt, white pepper, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce in large bowl and stir until well blended.
Peel and dice tomato. Rinse remaining vegetables and place in large container with tomato. Pour blended soup mixture over vegetables. Chill for at least 2 hours.
Serve as appetizer garnished with lemon wedges and club vegan crackers or garlic toast. Works wonderfully as a cool and refreshing, easy to serve summer-time dish.
Preparation time: 1 hour