This meatless soup was the traditional beginning of Dalmatian Vigil meals, especially Christmas Eve, when the chill of the Bora (a strong wind from the east) gives cabbage added bite. It calls for fish broth, which the cook would have had on hand because boiled fish is one of the standard second courses of a Vigil meal.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Savoy cabbage (amounts given below)
- One onion
- Fish broth (from boiling a fish, or canned)
- A bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
Dice into half-inch (1-cm) cubes a head of Savoy cabbage, two peeled potatoes, and an onion.
Simmer the vegetables until tender in the broth from boiling the fish (strain it first), adding a minced clove of garlic, a bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste to the pot.
While the soup is cooking, toast several slices of bread. Line your soup bowls with them, ladle the soup over it, and serve.
- 2 package vegan Ramen noodles, broken into bits
- chopped or shredded cabbage
- sunflower seeds
- almond slivers
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup vinegar (I use mostly cider and a little red wine)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 Ramen seasoning packets
Make the dressing with the olive oil, vegan sugar, vinegar, and seasoning packets all nice and stirred up.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
- 4 large beets
- 1/2 green cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 large tomato
- 1 large rutabaga (Swedish turnip)
- 2 tablespoons of dill
- 2 tablespoons of parsley
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 10 cups of veggie stock or water
- salt and pepper, to taste
This borscht recipe is delicious, nutritious, and guaranteed to warm any belly on a cold winters night. It's my own recipe so I hope you enjoy it!
1) Chop up all the veggies.
2) In a large pot, saute onion, celery, dill, parsley, and garlic in vinegar on high heat.
3) Slowly add stock/water and bring to a boil. Add beets, rutabaga, cabbage, carrots, and tomato.
4) Cover and let simmer until root vegetables become tender (about 20 minutes).
5) Enjoy! Add salt and pepper if you wish.
Can also be served with dollop of vegan sour cream or plain yogurt if you wish.
Serves: many, many people
Preparation time: 30 minutes