- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 large onion, minced
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 plantain, sliced
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 16 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked cracked wheat, bulgur wheat, or couscous (have fun and experiment)
- basil, oregano, cayenne, and parsley
- whatever seasonings that strike you at the moment - that's what I used last time, and it was great!
Split the squash in half and cook upside-down in water for about 20-30 minutes. until tender. Pour 2 cups hot water over grains of choice and let sit cover for approximately 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, sauté the onion, garlic, mushrooms and plantains in the oil. If needed, add some water. Add cans of tomatoes and spices and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add drained grains and simmer another 5 minutes.
Pour the sauce over spaghetti squash on individual plates.
Preparation time: 20-30 minutes
- 1 small clove garlic
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups V-8 juice
- 2 & 1/2 tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 large ripe tomato
- 2 tbsp finely minced fresh onion
- 1/2 fresh cucumber - diced
- 1/2 fresh green pepper - diced
- 1/2 tsp freeze-dried chives
- 1 tbsp fresh green onion tops - chopped
- 1 fresh yellow squash - diced, not peeled
- 1 cup fresh eggplant - diced (for color - optional)
Place garlic, parsley, V-8 juice, vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, vegan sugar, salt, white pepper, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce in large bowl and stir until well blended.
Peel and dice tomato. Rinse remaining vegetables and place in large container with tomato. Pour blended soup mixture over vegetables. Chill for at least 2 hours.
Serve as appetizer garnished with lemon wedges and club vegan crackers or garlic toast. Works wonderfully as a cool and refreshing, easy to serve summer-time dish.
Preparation time: 1 hour
- 2 large butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded (about 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped toasted pecans
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Preheat oven to 400 deg F.
2. Place squash halves, cut sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place honey and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH for 30 seconds, or until butter melts. Stir to combine. Brush half of honey mixture over cut sides of squash, and reserve remaining honey mixture.
3. Sprinkle squash with salt and pepper. Bake at 400 deg F for 1 hour or until tender.
4. Carefully place squash, cut sides up, on cutting board. Halve squash lengthwise; cut each half crosswise into thirds. Place squash on a platter. Heat reserved butter mixture in microwave at HIGH for 20 seconds.
5. Drizzle remaining butter mixture over squash. Sprinkle evenly with pecans and parsley. Add a garnish of parsley on the side to accent the beautiful colors of the squash.
6. Serve, and enjoy!
Preparation time: 1 hour, 30 minutes