- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 large onion, minced
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 plantain, sliced
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 16 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked cracked wheat, bulgur wheat, or couscous (have fun and experiment)
- basil, oregano, cayenne, and parsley
- whatever seasonings that strike you at the moment - that's what I used last time, and it was great!
Split the squash in half and cook upside-down in water for about 20-30 minutes. until tender. Pour 2 cups hot water over grains of choice and let sit cover for approximately 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, sauté the onion, garlic, mushrooms and plantains in the oil. If needed, add some water. Add cans of tomatoes and spices and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add drained grains and simmer another 5 minutes.
Pour the sauce over spaghetti squash on individual plates.
Preparation time: 20-30 minutes
- 1 tsp mild flavored olive oil
- 1 small onion, cut in half and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (or 1/2 tsp. bottled garlic puree)
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 small tomato
In skillet (preferably cast iron), place oil, onion, garlic, and 1/4 c. water. Cover and cook over medium heat until onions are transparent. Meanwhile, wash kale and separate from ribs. Chop the kale leaves and add to the skillet. Saute 5 minutes or until kale wilts and turns deep green. Meanwhile, dice the tomato (you can seed it if you like, or add it seeds and all). Add to kale and cook until tomato begins to release its juice and the dish is hot.
Serve over brown rice.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 4 large beets
- 1/2 green cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 large tomato
- 1 large rutabaga (Swedish turnip)
- 2 tablespoons of dill
- 2 tablespoons of parsley
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 10 cups of veggie stock or water
- salt and pepper, to taste
This borscht recipe is delicious, nutritious, and guaranteed to warm any belly on a cold winters night. It's my own recipe so I hope you enjoy it!
1) Chop up all the veggies.
2) In a large pot, saute onion, celery, dill, parsley, and garlic in vinegar on high heat.
3) Slowly add stock/water and bring to a boil. Add beets, rutabaga, cabbage, carrots, and tomato.
4) Cover and let simmer until root vegetables become tender (about 20 minutes).
5) Enjoy! Add salt and pepper if you wish.
Can also be served with dollop of vegan sour cream or plain yogurt if you wish.
Serves: many, many people
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- 1 small clove garlic
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups V-8 juice
- 2 & 1/2 tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 large ripe tomato
- 2 tbsp finely minced fresh onion
- 1/2 fresh cucumber - diced
- 1/2 fresh green pepper - diced
- 1/2 tsp freeze-dried chives
- 1 tbsp fresh green onion tops - chopped
- 1 fresh yellow squash - diced, not peeled
- 1 cup fresh eggplant - diced (for color - optional)
Place garlic, parsley, V-8 juice, vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, vegan sugar, salt, white pepper, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce in large bowl and stir until well blended.
Peel and dice tomato. Rinse remaining vegetables and place in large container with tomato. Pour blended soup mixture over vegetables. Chill for at least 2 hours.
Serve as appetizer garnished with lemon wedges and club vegan crackers or garlic toast. Works wonderfully as a cool and refreshing, easy to serve summer-time dish.
Preparation time: 1 hour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 to 4 tablespoons mild or hot curry paste
- 1 diced potato
- 1 diced tomato
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach
Steam or boil the potatoes in salted water until very tender. In a non-stick skillet, cook the onion, garlic and curry paste in oil for 3-4 minutes or until onion is tender.
Stir into the skillet the potatoes, tomatoes, and spinach. Add water as needed, and continue cooking over medium heat until heated throughout. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve with rice or cous cous if desired.
Serves: 2 - 4
Preparation time: 20 minutes