Holiday Ideas & Recipes
Thanks to our customer Hillary Barraza for sharing this yummy recipe link!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced leek (about 2 large)
- 12 ounces fingerling potatoes, cut in half lengthwise (about 4 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Spanish smoked paprika, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, divided
- 4 cups thinly sliced trimmed Swiss chard (about 1 bunch)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Gruyère cheese
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan. Add leek; cook 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add potatoes and garlic; cook 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Add chard; cook 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Using a spoon, push potato mixture aside to make 4 egg-size spaces. Crack 1 egg into each space; sprinkle remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon paprika over eggs. Cover and cook 3 minutes; sprinkle cheese over potato mixture. Cover and cook 2 minutes or until egg yolks are lightly set.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups potato mixture and 1 egg)
Preparation: 1 hour, 30 minutes
See also: Fingerling Potato-Leek Hash with Swiss Chard and Eggs
Jeanne Kelley, Cooking Light
Tofu can be fried (do before anything else) or tossed into stir fry with out previous cooking. I've also made this many times with no tofu and it is still good. Coarsely chop onion and mince garlic. Slice bok choy stocks into bite size pieces, coarsely chop green tops. Slice and/or chop the rest of the veggies any way you prefer.
Heat 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet or wok. Add 1 teaspoon fennel seed until is begins to sizzle. Add onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, add garlic toss a few times with spoon.
Begin cooking vegetables from hardest to softest: bok choy stocks (save green tops for later) for 1 minute. Add carrot and cook for 1 minute... red pepper 1 minute... broccoli 1 minute, etc... Repeat with all the vegetables except for bok choy greens (they will go in later with the tofu). Add a dash of salt while cooking - it really brings out the flavor of the veggies.
Transfer veggies to bowl and put 1 tablespoon oil in skillet/wok over medium heat. Add nuts and begin to toss while cooking. As nuts begin to turn golden color, add 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed. Let nuts overcook to a dark brown - its okay to have some black nuts as it adds flavor. Once the nuts are done, add cooked rice to skillet/wok and mix in oil, nuts, and fennel. Add dash of salt to rice mixture and let cook for a couple of minutes while stirring. Transfer to serving bowl.
Heat veggies back up and add tofu - cook until heated through. Add bok choy green tops just at end, cook until wilted. Salt and pepper to taste, serve over rice.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Place an order with us and one of our Organics to You delivery vans will bring your produce bin and add-ons right to your door. Don't forget to tip your driver!Learn more about our delivery routes
FREE DELIVERY RIGHT TO YOUR DOOR!
Please select your zip code from the drop-down menu to find your delivery day.
**If you live outside our delivery zone, or prefer pick-up, we also offer these pick-up locations**
- SANDY - TUESDAY: Sandy Country Florist...39010 Pioneer Blvd; Sandy, OR; 97055
- OREGON CITY - TUESDAY: Private Porch...914 Jackson St; Oregon City, OR; 97045
- SCAPPOOSE - TUESDAY: Flora Design...52658 NE 1st Street; Scappoose, OR; 97056
- HILLSBORO - WEDNESDAY: Hill Florist...276 E Main Street; Hillsboro, OR; 97123
- WASHOUGAL/COLUMBIA GORGE - THURSDAY: Ripple Wellness Center...2614 E St; Washougal, WA; 98671
**For those customers who do not live within our delivery zones, orders can be picked up at these locations during their store hours. You can set pick-up at each location by using the store's address (above) as your shipping/delivery address when you sign up. If your shipping/delivery address uses the zip code '97056', you'll be automatically set for pick-up at the Scappoose drop spot. As always, please feel free to contact us with any questions.
The delivery window is approximately between 9AM until about 5PM. The actual delivery time for your order will depend on when and where your address falls on the driver's route for the given day. You can give us a text-friendly phone number on your account, and we will text you the day before with an estimated delivery time and then again when your order arrives at your door.
This meatless soup was the traditional beginning of Dalmatian Vigil meals, especially Christmas Eve, when the chill of the Bora (a strong wind from the east) gives cabbage added bite. It calls for fish broth, which the cook would have had on hand because boiled fish is one of the standard second courses of a Vigil meal.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Savoy cabbage (amounts given below)
- One onion
- Fish broth (from boiling a fish, or canned)
- A bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
Dice into half-inch (1-cm) cubes a head of Savoy cabbage, two peeled potatoes, and an onion.
Simmer the vegetables until tender in the broth from boiling the fish (strain it first), adding a minced clove of garlic, a bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste to the pot.
While the soup is cooking, toast several slices of bread. Line your soup bowls with them, ladle the soup over it, and serve.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 to 4 tablespoons mild or hot curry paste
- 1 diced potato
- 1 diced tomato
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach
Steam or boil the potatoes in salted water until very tender. In a non-stick skillet, cook the onion, garlic and curry paste in oil for 3-4 minutes or until onion is tender.
Stir into the skillet the potatoes, tomatoes, and spinach. Add water as needed, and continue cooking over medium heat until heated throughout. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve with rice or cous cous if desired.
Serves: 2 - 4
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups cauliflower flowerets
- 4 celery ribs, diced
- 3 carrots, chopped (I usually use only 1 or 2)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted (You can also use cream and chicken bullion instead of the creamed soup)
- 1 cup cream or half& half 8 oz. cubed cheese (your choice of flavor)
- 1/4 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp pepper Paprika
Arrange cauliflower, celery and carrot in steamer basket over boiling water. Steam 10 minutes or until crisp-tender, then drain.
Cook soup and cream or half & half in large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
Stir in cheese until melted. Add steamed veggies, salt and pepper; cook until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with paprika and serve. Amazing!
Yield: 4 cups
- 4 large beets
- 1/2 green cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 large tomato
- 1 large rutabaga (Swedish turnip)
- 2 tablespoons of dill
- 2 tablespoons of parsley
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 10 cups of veggie stock or water
- salt and pepper, to taste
This borscht recipe is delicious, nutritious, and guaranteed to warm any belly on a cold winters night. It's my own recipe so I hope you enjoy it!
1) Chop up all the veggies.
2) In a large pot, saute onion, celery, dill, parsley, and garlic in vinegar on high heat.
3) Slowly add stock/water and bring to a boil. Add beets, rutabaga, cabbage, carrots, and tomato.
4) Cover and let simmer until root vegetables become tender (about 20 minutes).
5) Enjoy! Add salt and pepper if you wish.
Can also be served with dollop of vegan sour cream or plain yogurt if you wish.
Serves: many, many people
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup whole grain corn flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons light tasting olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C)
- Combine water & soy milk in small bowl
- In large bowl, combine both of the flours, the baking powder, baking soda, & salt.
- Stir in the milk mixture until just combined. Fold in the blueberries and let the batter sit for 5 minutes.
- Lightly oil a skillet or griddle and heat over medium heat. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the hot griddle for each pancake. Cook until pancakes are bubbly on top and edges are slightly dry looking. Turn and cook until pancakes are browned. Transfer to a baking sheet to keep warm in the preheated oven (cover them with tinfoil) while cooking the remaining batter. Serve warm with all natural (no sugar added) blueberry jam.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
***price change, effective 03-25-19***
Hello and good day..Due to fact we have no delivery charge and have not had a price increase in quite some time, we are forced to raise our prices a little for each box, effective this upcoming week, March 25th. Price of produce keeps going up and with giving employees a living wage, makes it tough. Please check out the produce bins page for information on price changes. We thank you so much for your understanding and support!
***If you need to modify your order/delivery schedule: Please be sure to adjust your account (https://organicstoyou.org/login) or contact the office with your e-request (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least 48 hours before your scheduled delivery.***
Organics to You will not be delivering during the week of December 27-30, 2021.
After an arduous couple of years, with the holidays upon us, and with snow forecasts looming for next week, we have decided to take the week off as a holiday for our workers’ health, rest, and peace of mind. Organics to You has not taken a week off for over 9 years as we continued to deliver through rain, snow, ice, heat, smoke, fires, power outages, and pandemics. We are proud to deliver the best produce and groceries around, but we are grateful for this opportunity to stop, reset, and enjoy the coming holiday week.
We appreciate all of your support throughout 2021, and we look forward to serving you in 2022.
We wish you a very happy holiday season, and can’t wait to see you in the new year!
Contact us: email@example.com
- Organics to You is a locally owned and operated Portland organic produce delivery company.
- We've been delivering the finest, farm-fresh organic produce and groceries since early 2001.
- How does our service work? Organics to You works with Local Farmers directly and with other local purveyors of organic produce, that deliver the produce to our warehouse in Portland, Oregon. From there, to you to enjoy!
- There are lots of different sizes of produce boxes to choose from along with some grocery needs you may have. All you need to do is sign up and the best, freshest, local, organic produce will come to your door.
Why do people choose our service?
One reason to choose Organics to You would be quality of goods we deliver, but beyond that, there is a convenience factor, and overall value you get from our delivery. We have had price-comparison shopped the contents of our produce bins, and have found it in your favour.
We offer a wide range of organic groceries. With Organics to You, not only can you save money, but you can also save time by not going to store, and the frustration of traffic, along with those impulse purchases people can make at stores and "shopping club" database systems which can hide the full price of things on the shelf. You get none of that with us.
We have a strong commitment to sustainability and the environment. Organics to You is committed to sustainability, the local community, and organics as a whole. In this commitment, Organics to You reduces, recycles and reuses everything possible.
We are a part of the Portland compost program and also donate most of out produce wastes to local community groups; so we basically have zero produce waste. One of our farmers takes what could be produce waste, and feeds it to their chickens and cows. We also reuse 1st, and then recycle our paper waste. We use 100% post-consumer waste copier paper for all of our office needs and are as paperless as possible in our office. We use corn-based plastics whenever available, and we are a Green Power with PGE 100% renewable energy choice company. All of these things combined make our environmental impact footprint very small.
Our delivery service covers Outer Gresham to Hillsboro, and Vancouver/Camas, and to as far south as Sherwood, West Linn and Wilsonville. Find out more about our Portland Area delivery areas and scheduling.