Thanks to our customer Lawrence Duncan for this delicious and heart-warming recipe!
- 3 large potatoes
- 3 large carrots
- 3 large beets
- 8 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tsp rosemary, fresh or powdered
- 2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tbsp black pepper, course ground
- 2 tsp sea salt
Preheat oven to 250 deg F. This is a "low & slow" recipe, which takes a little bit of patience, but well worth it! You can vary the ratio of vegetables to suit your tastes, as well as the choice and amounts of herbs and spices.
Cut the potatoes, carrots, and beets into large chunks. The size of the chunks determines which vegetable cook the fastest: the potatoes and beets should be the largest chunks, with the carrots being a little smaller / thinner. You'll get the feel for the right size with practice.
Place the chunked potatoes, carrots, and beets in a large mixing bowl, along with the peeled garlic cloves. Add oil and sprinkle in the spices, while stirring until all the vegetables are thoroughly coated.
Spread the mixture evenly onto a baking tray, and place into the oven. Cook for about 2 hours, or until done.
Serves: 3 - 4
Preparation time: 2 1/2 hours
- 4 large beets
- 1/2 green cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 large tomato
- 1 large rutabaga (Swedish turnip)
- 2 tablespoons of dill
- 2 tablespoons of parsley
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced or grated
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 10 cups of veggie stock or water
- salt and pepper, to taste
This borscht recipe is delicious, nutritious, and guaranteed to warm any belly on a cold winters night. It's my own recipe so I hope you enjoy it!
1) Chop up all the veggies.
2) In a large pot, saute onion, celery, dill, parsley, and garlic in vinegar on high heat.
3) Slowly add stock/water and bring to a boil. Add beets, rutabaga, cabbage, carrots, and tomato.
4) Cover and let simmer until root vegetables become tender (about 20 minutes).
5) Enjoy! Add salt and pepper if you wish.
Can also be served with dollop of vegan sour cream or plain yogurt if you wish.
Serves: many, many people
Preparation time: 30 minutes