Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 large onion, minced
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 plantain, sliced
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 16 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked cracked wheat, bulgur wheat, or couscous (have fun and experiment)
- basil, oregano, cayenne, and parsley
- whatever seasonings that strike you at the moment - that's what I used last time, and it was great!
Split the squash in half and cook upside-down in water for about 20-30 minutes. until tender. Pour 2 cups hot water over grains of choice and let sit cover for approximately 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, sauté the onion, garlic, mushrooms and plantains in the oil. If needed, add some water. Add cans of tomatoes and spices and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add drained grains and simmer another 5 minutes.
Pour the sauce over spaghetti squash on individual plates.
Preparation time: 20-30 minutes